Losing "more" than half of me

Losing "more" than half of me
This time it's really going to happen.. I am going to lose half of myself, or should I now say "more than half of myself?"

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A long walk

Today I met a new friend, Melissa, and we walked across the Lake Murray dam.  Melissa has been in my shoes before.  And she has lost well over 100 pounds.  I am so blessed to know her!  Anyway.  We walked across the dam, and back.  It was a total of 3.4 miles.  I made it and it wasn't so bad.  The worst part was the fact that I forgot to wear sunscreen and got a little too much sun.  That gave me a BIG headache, but I'll live.

I was surprised I could go that far!  I typically walk about a mile every day, and I usually have to push myself to do that.  The difference today was having someone to talk to.  It took my mind off what I was doing.  I just enjoyed our conversation.  I do remember once thinking, ok, I'm ready to be finished.  But we were almost finished anyway, so that worked out pretty well.

Walking over 3 miles today made me realize I'll be able to take part in the Women's Heart and Sole this year.  It's an event by Providence hospital to bring awareness to heart disease in women.  WIS sponsors it and we always have a group .. but I've never been able to do it.  You can walk or run a 5 mile course, or walk a 3 mile course.  I decided last week that I would do the 3 mile.. and today showed me I can do it.  If you want to join, just click on the link above.  The event is Saturday, May 1st.  Early registration is over this Friday, March 26th.

I'm going to take a shower, then ice my knees.  (Thanks for the reminder, Melissa!)  Good night.

4 comments:

  1. YOU GO GIRL!!! I am so excited for you:) I will be praying for you and if you EVER need a partner to walk across the dam or anywhere else, give me a call:) Friday's are usually good for me-I don't have Alina, so I'll just have Josiah. You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did such an amazing job!!! It was great to walk with you and talk! And I, too, got more sun than I would have liked. Oops!! Glad you remembered to ice your knee!!! Just let me know when you want to get together again. And I signed up to do the Women's Heart and Sole with you! It's going to be awesome and you will do an amazing job!!

    ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. You Go Girl! I wish I had as much dedication as you do. I keep telling myself that I'll start losing weight in a few months, but I always push it back. Seeing how much determination that you have is starting to motivate me to get off my butt! Thanks for that and good luck. Last time I saw you you looked like you've lost some weight and you look great! Maybe I'll sign for the Heart and Sole also! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jemme ~ checking in on you girlfriend! as my momma used to say ... make sure your actions line up with your intentions :)

    ReplyDelete