Losing "more" than half of me

Losing "more" than half of me
This time it's really going to happen.. I am going to lose half of myself, or should I now say "more than half of myself?"

Monday, March 15, 2010

Changes

Let me just tell you.. eating the proper vitamins and minerals really helps your nails grow.  It's like I'm pregnant again (which I'm definitely NOT).  My nails are growing like wildfire, and the only thing I can think is that I'm eating more nutrient dense foods.  Good idea.  I also think it's helping my hair look smoother and healthier.
Another change that isn't so pleasant, aches and pains from exercising.  All I'm really doing is walking so far, but I am hurting.  Both feet have blisters on the bottom, my knees hurt and my back feels like it's being pulled out of line.  I wasn't expecting all of that from just walking.  I guess that goes to show you how inactive I was before.  I'm doing 30 minutes each day right now.. and that's enough for me.

Back to the good changes.. I've lost 14 pounds, I think.  I weighed 332 on the scale at my doctor's office on Feb. 25th and when I weighed myself at home this past Saturday (March 13th) I weighed 318.  I know there are typically discrepancies in scales, so I'm not sure exactly how much I've lost, but I'm going with 14.  It helps motivate me.  I am really relieved to be on the way down!  I am also apprehensive.  I don't exactly know why, but it has a lot to do with failing and that not being a real number and me not losing anymore.  But I am going to stop thinking about those things.  And now that I've gotten them out of me, maybe those thoughts can go away.

I plan to weigh myself each Saturday.  Some may think that's too often, but I need to see results.  They help motivate me.  And the folks on the Biggest Loser get to see how much they lose each week, so why not me?  I've always REALLY wanted to go on that show, so I'm sure I'll be using a lot of what I've learned from the show to help me lose weight.  And don't worry, I know I won't get the same numbers each week as those folks, because I don't have 6 hours a day to work out.

My food choices have been pretty good.  I've been good at watching my calories and adding more veggies to the menu.  Today, I haven't even hit 1200 cal yet, so I may go grab a quick bite before bed.  I'm hungry and I learned when I was pregnant that when I have a small snack before bed, it helped my sugar levels stabilize during the night.

Time for bed.. it's an early workout in the morning.  Yay!  I look forward to the time that I really do look forward to exercise and working out.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the 14 pounds!!! I totally understand what you mean about the difference between scales at the doctor's office and home. I kept track of my home numbers and when I went back in to the doctor, made note of my new number that day to figure out the difference in the scales. And I think a weekly weigh-in is fine...just remember you do not live by the scale...it's a number. It is not a reflection on how much you are doing or how well. Inches are a much better reflection of how you are doing (as well as how your clothes are fitting!)

    Keep up the great work!!! I'm cheering you on!! And let's set a date for a walk or coffee or something :)

    ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sis...great points of reflection! I don't think checking your weight once a week is a problem at all.

    And, for the aches and pains, stretching helps a lot of that. Even tho it's "just walking", it is a lot for your body right now. And, it is more important to stretch real well AFTER you walk...moreso than before you walk.

    Of course I know several good back stretches. The best/easiest one is to lie flat on your back on the floor with your feet also flat on the floor and your knees pointing up. You can stay like that and also rock your knees side-to-side every now and then. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, I will call you this week to set up something. I'm looking forward to it! :)

    Jay, thanks for the advice. I definitely hadn't even thought about stretching after my walks, but I comepletely need to. Duh! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete