Losing "more" than half of me

Losing "more" than half of me
This time it's really going to happen.. I am going to lose half of myself, or should I now say "more than half of myself?"

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Rewards and Motivation

They (weight loss experts) say it's good to set up small rewards for yourself along the way, to keep you motivated.  My big reward is a tropical vacation (not to mention my health, a longer life, more fun with my kids and husband, etc.).  I haven't been this excited about something in a long time.. that vacation seems to really motivate me.  Every time I want to eat something naughty, or sit on my behind and not exercise, I think, "Is it worth delaying my vacation?"

So I've come up with awards at 25 pound increments along the way.  I thought I'd share them with you.. and I need an idea or two from you, because I've found that I don't really know myself all that well.  Here goes.

1. When I get under 300 pounds, I get to go on an overnight getaway with my best friend Angie.  Don't know where we'll go yet, but that'll be part of the fun--planning the getaway.  So we don't even get to start planning until I am at most 299.

2. Under 250 pounds, I get to go on a weekend getaway with Ricco.  No kids, no animals, no internet, limited phone access.. just us, somewhere for 2 nights.  I'm thinking somewhere in the mountains.  Maybe the same place we went on our honeymoon.  It was a little place along the Blue Ridge Parkway called Doe Run Lodge.

3. Under 200 pounds, we're going to Carowinds.  I haven't been able to go on a roller coaster in years because I've been too big, and I LOVE roller coasters.  So this is one I'm really looking forward to.  I could probably go at 225, but I don't want to chance being told that I don't fit, so I'm waiting until 200.

4. At 175, my goal weight, I'm going on a tropical vacation.  I've already talked about this one, so I won't bore you with the details again.

So, as you can see, I don't have any rewards planned for 275 or 225.  I don't want a shopping spree to be one of the rewards; because that's just something I'm going to have to do anyway. 

I was thinking about 225 to be go skating.  I loved to skate back in the day.  I wasn't that great, but I enjoyed it.  Now, it's too dangerous for me, though.  I could easily break a bone if I fell because of my weight.  I think 225 could be a good goal for that, but I may still be too heavy.

But first, I need to come up with something for 275.  That's the milestone coming before 225.  I haven't been that small in nearly 10 years.  I was 250 when I got pregnant with Avery.  I gained 42 pounds with her.  I lost 20 the day I had her, and then lost even more when I had my gallbladder taken out a few months later.  I definitely got down to my pre-pregnancy weight after that.  I don't know when I went back up, but I'm sure it wasn't too much longer.  It's all a blur -- I was too busy working and taking care of Avery, and not myself.  Then I was working overnights, sleeping crazy hours and planning a wedding.  I don't even know how much I weighed when I got married.  Isn't that silly?

So, send me your suggestions.  Things you know that I used to like to do, but haven't been able to because of my weight, or because of my lack of motivation and self-esteem.  I'm hoping I'll get to the 275 pound milestone by Christmas this year, so we've got some time.

BTW: writing this blog has helped me see what words and phrases I use way too often.  One of them is the word "so".  I'll try to stop using it so freely. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment