Losing "more" than half of me

Losing "more" than half of me
This time it's really going to happen.. I am going to lose half of myself, or should I now say "more than half of myself?"

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Not letting the devil bring me down

So, Mondays are tough anyway because of getting home so late on Sunday nights.  But yesterday I could just tell that satan is not happy with my new weight loss journey.  Let me break it all down for you.

I get off work around 11:30pm and I get home around midnight.  It usually takes me a good couple of hours to fall asleep.. this week it was 3am before closing my eyes.  Well, Bella decided to wake up before 7am (she usually sleeps until at least 8am, sometimes 9am). 

Well, I was exhausted, with less than 4 hours of sleep.  I got up, made a good breakfast (oatmeal with blueberries and honey) and then started school. 

For my exercise yesterday, I planned to meet my sister at 3pm to walk at a park.  And Ricco got home early, so I was going to be able to leave Bella in her bed for her nap instead of waking her early.  Zoe also decided to stay with her daddy, so it was going to be just Avery and me.  Things were looking good.  Then, it all went downhill.

I didn't really know the best way to get to the park from the new house, so I ended up trying several different routes which ended up taking longer.  If you know me at all, wasting time does NOT make me happy.  Then, Ricco called to inform me that Bella was vomiting.  So I felt like had to turn around, and miss my walk.  But then I decided that Ricco could take care of it just as well as I could, and he told me there was no need to come home.  So I finally made it to the park, after several more wrong turns, and walked for 30 minutes.

On the way home, we made a few stops, including the grocery store to pick up one thing I needed to make dinner.  I just needed a can of cream of mushroom soup and bag of frozen peas, but of course I picked up a few more things.  Then the line was super long.  And to top it all off, when we got back to the van, it wouldn't start.  My van does that from time to time, it just won't start unless you wait for a while.  I thought that maybe I was out of gas, so Avery and I walked to the station across the street, bought a gas container and some gas, and put it in the van.  But still, nothing.  So Ricco packed up the girls and came to get us (Bella was feeling much better at this point).  Everyone was starving, seeing as it was 6:45pm by this point, so we headed to McDonald's.  I was hungry, but not ready to give in to my addiction.  So I got 2 of the grilled snack wraps with the sauce on the side. 

When we got home, I found out that each wrap was 260 calories and 9 fat grams.  That was a lot.. especially for as late as it was, but it was much less than if I had gotten my normal meal: a 10-piece chicken nugget (460 cal, 29 fat grams), hot mustard sauce (60 cal, 2.5 fat grams), sweet & sour sauce (50 cal, 0 fat grams), a large fry (500 cal, 25 fat grams) and a large sprite (310 cal, 0 fat grams).  Wow!  I've never totaled up all that before.  That's 1380 calories, 56.5 fat grams.  So, my choice last night was much better than usual.

So, a tough day, but I made it through.  This time last week, most of those situations would have been enough to stress me out to the point where I would have given up and given in. 
  • Getting no sleep is always an excuse as to why I eat badly.  I'll do better next time, I say.  But I felt like this was next time. 
  • Bella getting sick would have been the perfect excuse not to have to walk, but I found that I really wanted to go and wasn't happy that I may not be able to. 
  • The car breaking down and not getting home in time to make dinner was an easy excuse for me to eat whatever I wanted, but I didn't want to give in.  I wanted to find a better option that I usually choose.
I am convinced that most of these things were the devil -- realizing that I am growing in Christ as I lose weight.  And he was doing all that he could to get me to give up or in.  But I have God on my side, and He is much more powerful than satan.

My food summary for Monday, I got in all my water, didn't have any sugar, ate small meals with snacks in between and made better food choices when presented with a difficult situation.  I also got in my exercise yesterday.  But I didn't do so well on the sleep.  I have to get better with that.  Pray for me in that area please.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read the earlier blogs as I started at the top and started reading downward...I now see that the earliest blogs are at the bottom. Anyway, just wanted to say how proud I am of you and that I know you are going to be successful with God's help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg how on earth do you get your baby to sleep till 9am????? Mine is up at the ass crack of dawn every dang morning!!! and his sister is not too far behind him! trade ja??
    Way to go Jemme!!!! Good luck on this journey, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
    Think of your girls and how important it is for them to have a healthy mommy!!
    BIG HUG!! Julie

    ReplyDelete